Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Yesterday I discovered a new flavor of Starburst, so I had to try it. The best package is, obviously, the California fruits, both in terms of taste and colors of the wrappers (important when you're, say, making a bracelet out of folded wrappers). This new package is a similar blue of the California fruits, but it is, in fact, *Baja* California fruits. Oooh. The new flavors are as follows:

Limon: Rather similar to lemon flavored Starburst, but a bit punchier. The wrapper is a nice bright green. Just as I tend to avoid the lemon Starburst but will eat them if pressed, I do not savor the taste of the limon.

Strawberry Watermelon: Quite good. Again, kind of like the pink ones in the original Starburst pack, but with some punch. It starts off mild but when you bite into it there's a good burst of flavor. The wrapper is a very satisfying pink. Not quite hot pink, but a lot more punk-rock than the original Starburst pink.

Baja Dragonfruit: It definitely gets points for its exotic sounding name. The wrapper is a very nice deep sky blue, and the candy itself is that beautiful blue with just a tinge of turquoise that only substances consisting largely of corn syrup can achieve. The taste is a bit strange, and there's something I can't put my finger on (the dragonfruit, I suppose). It's fairly off-putting, but does provide a change from the other flavors. It's definitely worth a try.

Aztec Punch: I wonder whether the Aztecs ever settled in Baja California. The red one is usually my favorite in a Starburst pack, but this flavor disappoints. It's not far off from the traditional cherry chew, but with a lasting acidic flavor, like Kool-aid with not enough sugar. The picture on the package indicates that this punch contains cherries and mango. I don't taste the mango, for what it's worth. The color, too, is disappointing, a washed-out, slightly pinkish red. It's not a bad chew; it's probably better than the Dragonfruit, definitely better than Limon, but it gets surpassed by the pink and doesn't live up to its status as the red one.

In all, this is not a bad package of Starburst. It does not live up to the Alto California pack, either in color or taste, but, really, what could? On both counts, overall, it is superior to both the original flavors and that green one, tropical, I think. I actually really like the wrapper colors in this one. They're not as bold as California, but they're so nice and bright, they would make a lovely bracelet. I give the package a B.

2 Comments:

Blogger katiemoo said...

Well, you're a traditional boy in a lot of ways, really. ;D

9:22 AM  
Blogger Hank said...

My all-time favorite Starburst flavor has to be Avocado, followed closely by Chicken Vindaloo.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home