Friday, April 28, 2006

Highlights from my day, in no particular order:
  • I totally love my cancer professor. She is one reason why I came to school here in the first place, she's totally smart, and I love the way she dresses. She's always wearing tight jeans or some short dress, and today she was wearing a really cool pink ruffley lacey shirt that I couldn't stop staring at. It's not that she's all stylish, but she also hardly seems to try and dress like a "serious mathematician" or something. And smart. Today she was talking about colon cancer, and how to build the equations we're going to build we need to consider how many cells are in each crypt of the colon, but no one knows how many there are. Except that she thinks she does know how many, because of this work she's done with stochastic processes. Damn, that's cool. Also, she pays a lot of careful attention to the many diagrams she draws during lecture. And she's really nice. I would so love to work with her, except deep down I'm not particularly interested in the math involved with the work she does, though the cancer part is damn neat.
  • Yesterday I applied for teaching positions with Kaplan and the Princeton Review, except that PR's website was all fucked up, but I did get an audition with Kaplan. So next week I have to go do a 5 minute lesson on something not related to the curriculum, so I think I'm going to do it on how to do a time step (tap dance). I'm kind of excited about this. I've been realizing that in order to pay for all the crazy things I want to do this summer (like go to Vegas, and, you know, pay rent) I'm going to have to work more than part time during only one of two summer sessions. So one of my students works for PR, and he said that if you've got your BA you can make like $24 an hour, so that makes me happy. Also the schedule's really super flexible, which is good. But I'll have to do a bunch of training first, and I don't know if I'm going to have time for that before the end of June.
  • Also I'm thinking of trying to get some private tutoring jobs from students in my apt complex, because I can totally tutor in undergrad calc classes, since I've TAed for those classes. And everyone around here has rich parents, so I can charge like $45/hr.
  • I think it's lame that I majored in math at Berkeley but I got a Bachelor of Arts, whereas my friends who majored in math at the far inferior Irvine (their undergrad math program is totally pathetic) got a Bachelor of Science. WTF?
  • Today is Cary's birthday. I ordered his present from Walmart.com, because they had it for less than half of what I was finding it elsewhere, but they didn't have it in the store. But I didn't order it 'til last Saturday, and I was really hoping it would come today, and sure enough it did, but stupid UPS didn't leave it, so they won't redeliver 'til Monday. Suck.
  • Just took out of the oven the brownies I baked for the aforementioned birthday, so the apartment smells wonderful. I'm also going to make penne with meat sauce (TJ's jarred marinara + ground turkey) in a few minutes. Also have vanilla ice cream, for the aforementioned brownies.
  • TV watching plans tonight may involve Hostel, which needs to be returned to Blockbuster soonest. Also have Palindromes (the latest Todd Solondzzddzd film), Season 1 Disc 2 of Sopranos, The Machinest, and something else..Love Liza. Next month I'm switching blockbuster.com to 1 disc at a time, because the backlog here is just outrageous. Plus we still have this week's Veronica Mars and Invasion, tonight's Smallville and Supernatural, and like 3 episodes of So NoTORIous from last Sunday. It doesn't help any that Cary likes to go to sleep at 8:30 pm.
  • May be going to San Diego this weekend to study and see my kitties.
  • I have pictures of stuff that I'm too lazy to post.
  • I'm wearing the super cool Sleeping Beauty shirt I got at Disneyland last weekend. It's pink and glittery and is a girl's XL, and it fits perfectly and is really nice material, so I'm happy.
  • That may be it for now.
  • I should go cook dinner now.
  • Okaybye.

2 Comments:

Blogger katiemoo said...

God this post is long. Who the fuck wants to read about all this boring shit?

5:50 PM  
Blogger Hank said...

1. Remember when I questioned your BA instead of BS when you graduated, and you basically told me to go to hell? Okay. I feel vidicated.

2. Don't worry about the length of the post; everyone knows it's width, not length, that counts.

3. Say happy birthday to Cary for me and tell him Cindy is wondering if he's written any new short stories she could read.

4. There is no four. But there is a three.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home