Friday, April 21, 2006

Tuesday Beth and I played hooky from algebra and drove to San Diego with Beth's boyfriend Newt to see the Dresden Dolls. We stopped by my mother's house to get ready (I would have loved to have worn a corset dress and intense dark "socked in the eye" makeup to teach my discussion sections, but I couldn't bring myself to put it all on at 7:30 in the morning). Didn't see my mother, since she was at work and Beth wanted to get to the concert early, but Beth and Newt got to meet my kitty cats. Kitty was *pissed* off at me, because she knew I was only staying for like half an hour. But she'll love me again next time I spend the night.

Anyway, Beth got me into the Dresden Dolls when she lent me their CD for my drive up to the yarn con in February, and they are so angry and dramatic, it makes me v. v. happy. Then she bought me a ticket to this show without even consulting me, which was cool. (PS: Hank! Only $15! <$25! Whoo!) The show, in case any of my readers went to high school with me (no), was at the Epicentre, aka the "teen center", aka the former Mira Mesa public library, where I got my very first library card at the age of ~4. Rocking.

But still, we got all gothed up. I am so un-goth, especially next to tatooed-big-thick-earringed-perma-black-wearing Beth and Newt, but at least I have the pale thing going on for me. The corset dress is Beth's, but at least the boots are mine. Oh right, you can't see my boots. But they're 20-i burgundy shiny Doc Martens, and they rocks. Anyway, here are Beth and I pre-show.
So, OMG, the show rocked so fucking hard. I have a new favorite band. If you lived with me, you would have been hearing about it nonstop for the last two days, including 2 am wednesday morning when I got home from the show. One of the opening acts, David J's Cabaret, played songs cowritten by Alan Moore and which appear in V for Vendetta (the comics, not movie). Also, they played Falling in Love from Der Blaue Engel (auf deutsch!), and Bowie's Time, and you could not pick two songs which would make me happier. And Beth is hardcore concertgoer, so we had the absolute best spots in the entire place, *right in fucking front* of Amanda, the singer/keyboardist in the Dolls. (go: explore their website) They covered I Love Rock & Roll and War Pigs, which rocked so hard. Like I said before. And drummer Brian fell off stage during Coin-Operated Boy, and I got one of his drumsticks, and I'm going to become a crazy performance artist and follow them around Europe and HOLY SHIT they had BALLERINAS. *passes out* I *love* ballerinas.

I'm happy. So is Beth. You can't imagine. Beth says they're playing Anaheim in July, which makes me happier than you can imagine. Seriously.

*ballerinas*

I have to go now. You've got me all freaking out again.

PS: Beth gave me a cool magnetic travel Sudoku thingy, which also rocks pretty hard. We're such crazy nerds.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

I read this post like on Monday, but for some reason *today* is the day I get "Coin Operated Boy" in my head. Thanks!

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home