Sunday, August 20, 2006

Stuff I've watched/read/heard recently (with some spoilers for stuff few if any of you are likely to care about):

- "A Foreign Affair", written/directed by Billy Wilder, starring Marlene Dietrich. I heard of this in a documentary on Marlene I saw recently, and I love her now, and the dude on TCM said I should watch this movie. It blew. Even the songs Marlene sang were lame. And I'm pretty sure Marlene got sent to a labor camp at the end, so that sucks.

- "The Abominable Dr. Phibes". Completely not what I expected. I some how in my mind had this movie tied in with "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari". The two are very very dissimilar. But both good and wierd in their own way. We do like Vincent Price, of course. A cool movie to see on TCM.

- "Saved!". Not on TCM, got this one from Blockbuster. Good, funny, Mandy Moore was fabulous.

- "Birth of a Nation". Back in, like, May TCM was doing a "Black images on film" series, and so we recorded this and "The Jazz Singer". This damn movie is freakin' 3 1/2 hours long, and we watched it in many 10-30 minute bouts. The first 2 hours, at least, are boring as hell. And then the KKK comes riding in on their shrouded horses to the strains of "Ride of the Walkuere". Sweet. One of the very last images of the film is a big crowd of people standing around, and then a huge Jesus appears in the middle of them. I don't know. I couldn't really tell what was going on during most of the movie, and I couldn't tell any of the characters apart.

- "Ficciones" by Jorge Luis Borges. I proctered a practice SAT exam yesterday, and had lots of time to read. Strange stories, somewhat uneven, but some of the stories really good. But what a smart writer, like Eco. I'm not sure what to read next.

- "The Boatman's Call" by Nick Cave. This is my favorite CD right now. Wow.

- The Busby Berkeley Collection Soundtrack Sampler. Oooooh, so cool. This song you all must listen to, oh yes indeed. Hank, I don't know how you can say "Gold Diggers of 1933" is not the best movie you've ever seen.

So we just had some excitement. Cary's been leaving Bird's cage door open and just kind of hanging out with him, and he's gotten Bird to eat millet out of his hand. So just now Bird flies out of the cage, which he's never come close to doing before, flies into the wall above the tv, lands on the ground, I get down and cover him with my hands, and Cary scoops him back into the cage. He's fine now, but it was quite an event.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hank said...

Forget Golddiggers, my fav director is Billy Wilder, and yet somehow I'd never even heard of "A Foreign Affair" let alone seen it. I can't believe it can be bad. How could it be bad? Plus, Charles Brackett cowrote. How could it be bad? I refuse to believe that. Many say "Kiss Me, Stupid" is the worst Billy Wilder movie, but I actually even liked *that*.

So give me some Foreign Affair... though how, since it's not on DVD or VHS and we don't have cable, I do not know.

Over and out.

5:36 PM  
Blogger katiemoo said...

Sorry, dude. I liked Sunset Boulevard, too, and I'm in love with Marlene Dietrich and pretty well everyone else who worked for UFA and fled to the US in the '20s and 30s, and I expeced to like AFA, but I didn't. And it's got Nazis! But still, it sucked. It wasn't, like, poorly directed, I guess, but the story was very poorly executed, and Jean Arthur's character was annoying as shit. Next time it's on TCM I'll see if I can tape it for you.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Hank said...

Next time it's on TCM I'll see if I can tape it for you.

You better not. Here's why:

Let's say you do that and send it to me, and I thank you. But secretly, inside, maybe you'd be seething because I didn't send you $3.95 or something to reimburse you for the tape and postage. You wouldn't tell me you expected this, but I should know, and thus I'm bad and you seethe.

Fast forward about 10 years, and maybe you'd joke about the money, but me, not knowing you've been seething over the $3.95 for 8 or so years, won't *really* be joking. You'll be serious/joking. The kind of joke that's real but is said as a joke in a sort of passive-aggressive way. I *should* know you're serious, because of *course* I owe you that money, and should know it, too, for why would you have sent me the tape out of the goodness of your heart? You're not running a charity, after all.

So me, not knowing you're serious would respond as if you were joking, and you might get offended. Then we'd no longer be online friends and our friends lists on Myspace, LJ, etc would get smaller. And if you were mad at me you of course would have to be mad at Cindy (it's only right), so everyone would suffer.

And who needs that.

So, thanks for the offer, but I like you. (Plus, I need all the friends on Myspace I can get, as does Cindy).

winkie, winkie.

3:30 PM  
Blogger katiemoo said...

Cary said he'll tape it for you, since he hates you anyway.

PS: Assuming Cindy accepts my request to friend her on MySpace, members of your household now comprise 60% of my friends there.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home